Friday, February 14, 2020

A New Hobby - Let's Get To It

I come from slot cars. That's been one of my primary hobbies since I was a little kit. That and Lego. So RC is a natural fit. I have had interest in it for a number of years, and liked the racing aspect, although the cost intimidated me. There wasn't any race tracks nearby anywhere I ever lived, so I just put the idea on the shelf, or what I like to call my "crazy list".

My crazy list consists of things that would be too expensive to ask for from my wife for xmas. There's a financial limit to our gift-giving, and what is over that limit ends up on the crazy list. Other things you might find on that list may or may not include:


  • motorcycle
  • ATV
  • triple-slate pool table
  • fast car [tough to pin down just one]
  • fully decked-out tool bench
  • ice hockey gear
  • 3d printer
  • etc.

You get the idea. Things that if I told them to my wife she'd roll her eyes permanently into the back of her head. So in a week or so's time from this writing, I'll have a bit of money which will go toward my first RC car. I'm not going to divulge just yet what it is, but it is what I was looking for and within my allotted budget [battery and charger included].

The Plan

This blog is going to be a report on my discoveries while learning and using RC cars, much like my slot car blog is laid out. I plan on doing in-depth exploration of my car, trying different tunings and other things, changing and adding parts, doing field coverage through YouTube, and otherwise getting as familiar with things as I can. As I learn things I'll share them with my readers, keep you updated on things happening with my RC experience and hopefully provide perspective that someone who may be looking to get into RC can appreciate and find worthy of discovery.

I don't expect that I'm going to have a whole wall full of the latest and greatest stuff. It's very likely that I'll have one car for a considerable amount of time. But I'll get down to the nuts and bolts of it, certainly. So this isn't going to really be a review site. But I'm still going to do this and share what I learn with you.

Unless something terrible happens, the next post should be the introduction of my new car. I'm totally looking forward to this and can't wait to get started!

The blog will have pics, video, links, a decent layout and other stuff shortly.

Also, I fully expect nobody to ever read this. That's okay. It's a busy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment