Saturday, March 7, 2020

Getting Some Backyard Time

Got some not rain today, so I went out in the backyard and tore it up a little bit. I notice I'm starting to carve out a natural path through the edges of the yard. I should probably knock that off, because if permanent tracks get carved into the grass my wife won't be too happy about it. So I'll have to vary my layout each lap a bit.

The other day I mentioned practicing driving at a high rate of speed. That was fun and all, but not long after I decided to do that at a low rate of speed, and have been practicing that ever since. I set up a small, ever-growing brick mountain to crawl over, and have been practicing doing it with no errant wheel spin or erratic movements.

Okay, more like Brick Hill, or Brick Berm, but you get the idea. A guy's gotta start somewhere.
It seems to me there's a way this thing likes to go up obstacles. It prefers you don't approach something with both wheels at the same time, but stagger them so the suspension has more to do. If you attack something straight on you risk tire spin, or at least that's something I noticed. I found it also easy to get an itchy trigger finger and punch-bloop it over stuff sometimes. Once I noticed myself doing that, it stopped.
So I think the key to driving one of these things is to be consistent, use care with the throttle, and be thoughtful in your approach and path you take over the obstacle.

My truck has way more capability than I give it credit for. It's breezing through everything.
Early on I mentioned that I would need to eventually find a throttle that I can use left-handed, but I don't think that's so important anymore. I've had enough time now that it feels pretty natural doing it this way, so I'm going to stick to it.
I also wanted to comment on the amazing battery life I've gotten so far. Being able to go a week on a charge with a 5000mAh 3S Lipo is really impressive. I absolutely expected 30 minute run times and 24 hour charge times before I bought the truck. But picking it up today knowing I had more than enough charge was a great feeling. But a week? That's averaging hour and-a-half long sessions just about every day. And the 4 AA's I put in my controller? Still working.






No comments:

Post a Comment